Thursday, January 01, 2009

A lesson in English

Recently, I was given a lesson in English by a true blue Englishman (who very kindly hosted hei and myself in his awesomely huge villa).

Conversation goes;

Me: Oh, I am currently renovating my new place at Punggol.

Saint R: You see, 'renovating' is a Singapore lingo. You cant say you are renovating. In the English dictionary, 'renovating' means restoring something back into good condition. Is you house already furnish?

Me (sheepishly): No....so what should be the right term?

Saint R: Finishing...you are finishing or completed your apartment.

(End)

I was convinced but wanted to make sure, so I came home and search on the dictionary. And indeed he is right. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/renovate

And at the same time, Saint R also informed me that Singaporeans (correction: real estate agents) used the word "bungalow' too loosely. Everyday he flips through the newspaper and he see them advertising for;

2 STOREY BUNGALOW...
WITH POOL, JACUZZI......

"Bungalow" - is an Indian word that was adopted into the English language. It is use to mean a 1 storey house usually surrounded by a verandah.

bungalow
1676, from Gujarati bangalo, from Hindi bangla "low, thatched house," lit. "Bengalese," used elliptically for "house in the Bengal style."


Everyday, you learn something new...on this day...I learnt 2 things!

No comments: