Sunday, December 10, 2006

PMP (Parents-meet-Parents) Session

What a relieve that this is finally over. Something that I have been kinda stressed over lately has finally past. And the best thing is, it went rather well. Way above my expections.

In October, my dad requested a lunch meeting with Hei's parents. His reason: In-laws should not meet only at the day of the wedding, like strangers. Fair enough, but it was rather stressing for hei and I. Firstly, Hei's working schedule is so erectic that its hard to find a time where he is available. Secondly, my parent and his parents cant be anymore different especially in terms of food taste. And lastly, we wondered if they found something to talk about, what were they gonna talk about? Us? Our housing issue? Dowry? The wedding?

Oh well, as it turns out. We went to a Heng Hwa restuarant, which was good because its Hei's mum's dialect and she knows what to order. Besides, its not like a generic chinese cuisine, its quite special. After the formal introduction, the 2 mothers started talking about food and China. My dad participated in the topic but seemed a bit too over zealous at times. Besides, I think his not-so-great lunch appetite made Hei's mum worried that he didn't like the food. Then they started talking about children, again a good common topic where they can all talk about how they don't see their children anymore and both sides trying very hard to show that they are liberal and they are not bother that their children and them have very little contact time. Where in actual fact, both mums does the occasional 'complain' that their children don't spend enough time and they don't see their children.

Otherwise, the 2 hours lunch went above and beyond my expectation. Hei and I could enjoy the wonderful food, have coversations of our own, without having to create conversations between the families or kill awkward silences.

From the bottom of my heart, I would really like to thank Mum and Dad and my soon to be Mother and Father in-law for the easy casual lunch. Of course, thank my soon to be HUSBAND for treating us to lunch.

OMG, HUSBAND still makes my hair stand a bit...

No comments: