Monday, February 07, 2011

Our CNY Stay-cation

Hei and I did a 4 days 5 nights staycation at Punggol.  Thanks Angie for introducing the word to me!

Staycation 
- noun
1. A stay at home vacation
2. When you are in the "don't disturb me" mood and pretend to be overseas
3. A holiday in your own back yard

新年除夕- 3 February
Hei didn't have to work today, so in the afternoon we send the car for polishing and came home to prepare for reunion dinner at Jyn's place. On the menu, BBQ, Steamboat and Zee's Fried Noodles. After sending the car to polish, we came home to wipe the house down, clean the windows and mop the floor. I simply don't understand why the house is still so dusty after my part time help cleaned it on the Friday before.

Anyhoo, we arrived promptly at 6pm at Jyn's place for dinner, only to find out that my father has already started eating. Obviously the concept of reunion dinner is lost on him. With only 2 pineapple tart in my tummy the whole day, I started gorging on the satay and steak that Jyn has grilled too.

Zee's fried noodles was amazing. Chiing and I concluded that the noodles was actually all we needed. I down about 2 bowls of noodles, plus some steamboat stuff and BBQ stuff. I WAS STUFFED!!!!!

 We even got to skype with Elin who stayed up to say Hi. Jyn, as usual, try to play it cool. PLEASE LA, WE KNOW YOU LOVE US DEEP DEEP.

Reunion dinner shiokness rating -- Happiness turned Indigestion....

大年初一
Woke at 8.30am to go 拜年 with my Seng Choon Grandma...Mum had to call Chiing to ensure we are "praying" to the right table and reminded us not to forget Ah-Gong who is just beside Ah-Ma. As usual, I didn't know what to say besides from the Happy New Year...so I say "Hi. Im here...hope things are great! Happy New Year." Chiing and I then went to 拜年 with Meatball Brother, had the superbly delicious SMALL bowl of mee sua before heading to Seng Choon. Turns out Seng Choon had fewer people then usual this time.

Food was of course, ever present. Jon and I, very smartly, parked ourselves right in front of the food so we dont have to walk up and down.

Hei and I left Seng Choon early to go to his Mom's place. Poor lady has been (and still is) sick so this must not be a fun New Year for her. Then it was off to Lentor Home to see A-Ah-Ma...who saw Xiaohei and clap her hands saying "Good Husband! Good Husband!". For a slightly dementia, ninety years-old old lady, she sure is lucid!

CNY Day 1 shiokness rating -- Once in the year mee-sua....bessst

大年初二 - 4 February
We really didn't do much this day. I woke at around 10 and decided to defrost some meat and fish. Boiled the leftover prawns so that it stays edible longer and watched some TV. Hei woke at around 11, I asked if he wanted lunch....I cooked. We ate. More TV.

In the evening, I cooked again. Trying to be smart, I gave all my dishes to some auspicious new year name...2 fried pomfret (年年有余), Stir fry cai xin with prawn (开心到笑),BKT soup with pork ball (圆圆满满). 

After dinner, we decided to check out Uncle Ringo 大世界 at Sengkang. The rides were really vintage, bumper cars and viking and all, but no enough food stalls and actually quite boring. We listened to an Auntie karaoking her life away and sat on 1 ride.


CNY Day 2 shiokness rating - HUAT AH! 

大年初三- 5 February
Another day of staying in. Watched a lot of TV and in the afternoon, decided to take a drive to Hort Park for a walk. Little did we know that the Rainman would follow us there. So we managed to walk the bridge to Telok Blangah Park and did a turn around.

CNY Day 3 shiokness rating - Could be better...

No comments: