Sunday, November 28, 2004

Our inability to read Japanese

Posted by Hello

I am seriously going to master Japanese. Blacks and I went to Junction 8 yesterday and saw this "picture hut" place for you to take all this neoprints (are they still called that?) and decided to go in and take one...since my FRINGE we havent taken a picture together. Our inability to read Japanese made us choose wrongly first by going into the booth where they print stickers instead of cards and made us choose lousy background designs and only printed like 1 shot after taking 6. Although the Japanese words were in katakana (Japanese characters for direct english translation) I would have to be there for at least 40mins before I can finish reading everything. I WANT TO MASTER MY JAPANESE!!!!

Day 2 in Singapore and I am going through the first weel of transition. Going from student to unemployed...the transition is giving me all sorts of emotions. Although I am still in the unpacking mode. I also am wondering what I am going to do now. I have began my mad frantic of looking for a job which I just realise is not as easy as I think!!!! Lucky blacks din have to worry about this when he graduated....But I am enjoying Singapore. For a modern liberal cosmopolitan woman that I like to see myself, I really quite enjoy the stifling Singapore. The hustle and bustle. The weather (mebbe becos so far it has been good). The food of course and the pace of life. Probably the only thing I really miss is the fresh air in Perth especially. The breath of air with no carbon monoxide in it. The lightness of the air. But well, you cant always have the best of both worlds.

Just realise that blacks and I are quite boring a couple...at least Im sure we are to outsiders. Saturday night and we spent most of it at home. He got of work at 3 then went to visit his dad in the hospital...dinner at bishan (chicken rice! but Ive tasted better)...walk around at Junction 8 a bit then went to his place and watch telly. Not the "happening" couple that goes out clubbing and all..hehehe....I AM ONLY 22!!!!!!

But watched a really interesting documentary about Singapore men and Singapore women and Vietnamese Brides. It featured this 33 year old guy who married a Viet bride after 1 week of meeting her and this Singaporean Indian fella who married Singapore wife after 8 years of courtship. The first relationship the women does everything, cooking washing etc. The 2nd relationship its the husband that cooks and stuff. Then there are the men who complain about how demanding and picky Singaporean women are. WHO ISNT??? For men, they want the looks and body so that they can flaunt their girlfriend/wife. For women, we want the stability so that we can have a better life. Personally, its wrong to scrutinize the Singaporean women as such because I think women from most if not all the developed countries would be liddat. As countries become more affluent and the people are more and more educated, it is only inevitable that women and men becames more "demanding" when seeking a soulmate (I would say partner/spouse but the words sounds so corny). Taking China women for example, at one point they were the "hot brides" to get, but as China becomes more economically powerful and the people are more affluent and educated. Overnight, these China women are no longer interested in simply being a WIFE. If Singaporean women are demanding and picky, then so are the men! They want a beautiful woman with a mind of her own but stress that she shouldnt express herself so often and yet be able to cook and do household chores AND tolerate living with in-laws AND care of his parents. For the 2 relationships they featured, they showed the guy and his viet wife watching telly and there seem to be no love b/w them, they sit on opposite ends of the couch and simply watch telly. WORSE, the wife actually said that when they first got married, she din know him and din love him, now she loves him a litte. Doesnt it sound like empathy/sympathy love? WORST! The man's criteria for a wife is she must be able to care for the house and his parents...whats the difference then with getting a maid?

Whatever happened to the traditional fall in love and choosing to be together?

It really makes me appreciate what blacks and I've got. And as I sit here in front of my computer and watch him sleep (dozed off while reading newspaper), I thank whoever you believe for having him. His is my big black angel from somewhere.

PS: I hope you guys can see the picture of him sleeping.....Im feeling so in love and watch him sleep...."SOOOO" sexy.....hehehhe

No comments: