Friday, December 02, 2005

The old lady

Today, I brought a bagful of Delimanjoo to work. My colleagues all had a piece and there were some left over. After lunch, as we were walking into our office, I notice a very old lady sitting at the back alley, under the hot sun, folding our scrap paper and putting them into a plastic bag. I had a feeling she was gonna collect all the paper and send them to the rag-and-bone man to earn some money. It was 30 degrees outside today and seeing her sitting there, with 1 arm in a cast, broke my heart. I smiled at her and immediately knew what I had to do.

I went upstairs, took the left over Delimanjoo and send it down to her. Speaking to her in my weak Cantonese, I told her that my mother baked those cakes and I would like her to have them. She was so sweet and told me to offer to my colleagues and the cleaning lady first.

No old people should have to suffer like that. It was such a hot day, they should be sitting somewhere, having a cup of tea, relishing about old times and listening to old music. I wonder whether she has any family, any children. Why would her children allow her to be as such? I'm no fillial daughter I admit. I don't give me mother money now that I'm working (because I don't even have enough for myself). But I would never in my life allow my mother to reduce to such destitute. How would I live with myself?

How does her children live with themselves?

I also suddenly thought about my own grandmother. I really don't think life has been unfair to her. Sure, she had worked as a a-mah to an Cauasian family during WW2 and had to marry my grandfather out of no choice (because he wanted to save her from the Japanese Troops) and became my grandfather's second wife. She has had quite a blessed life
- My father although don't talk to her. Pulled her out of my grandfather house and warned him not to ever hit my grandmother.
- He lived with her most of his married life and gave her allowaance every month even til now when he is no longer working.
- When my father decided to move out with us (mom n his daughters), he made sure my grandmother had a new flat to live with my aunt.

But it seems sometimes that my grandmother thinks that she is the most worse off person in the whole wide world. She is like our loan shark, every month, on the dot she will call and chase for her allowance. Which she doesnt even need cos she doesnt leave the house, and 3 meals are provided for by my aunt who cooks for her.

The questions of life.

No comments: