Wednesday, December 30, 2009

3 years of being a wife

Today is Blaeck's 3rd wedding anniversary. Firstly, I wonder why is it called a Wedding Anniversary? Should it be marriage anniversary? Or do we only remember the wedding and not the marriage? When did the wedding end and the marriage began? From the moment I said "I do"? Or when Lydia says "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Mr and Mrs Tay".

Mrs Tay. That's a salutation and a surname I only use when the banks or the telephone company calls. I remembered when I was in America and I introduced myself as Eying Wee, people just assumed that I am Mrs Wee and that Hei's surname is Wee. Once, the guard at the gantry even called Hei "Mr Wee"!

Thats an Asian thing I realise. I dont understand how as developed western countries are, the women always adopt their husband's surname. My mother took my dad's surname but never legally. My boss still holds her own surname and so did I. And I cant imagine my sister being Elin De Mercurio. *No offense Mark, its a lovely surname. Just I am so used to Elin Wee*.

So I am a wife. Ive been a wife for the last 3 years. How does that feel?

Honestly, not much difference. Was I suppose to get a gush of new emotions when I signed the papers? I didn't. Was I suppose to look at Hei differently? I didn't.

But did my life changed? I suppose it did. iGeek thinks I have grown up and mature, but I hardly think its because of the new marital status right?

Sex still the same - just less these days because of work schedule (God! I hate that reason). But it didn't change before or after (Yes Yes, I was no virgin when I got married).

Do I love Hei more? I dont necessarily think so. I do think that our relationship has evolve though. Like when we first met it was more physical appeal, the sexual tension - then as you get to know each other better you get that rush of admiration - now its more of an understanding. Sure the physical animal lust is still there but the companionship is so much more interesting.

A toast to 3 years and 3 years more!

Cheers.

No comments: