Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 1 in Nihon!

1.20pm: Touch down in Narita Airport. Yokoso!!!!

Unfortunately, the flight this morning was too blarddy early for me to get excited. Especially when silly NWA didnt put 2 passengers who booked together, seats together. I politely asked the kind bloke beside me to switch with Hei and he obliged. 6 hour flight and I managed to only watch 1 movie "Up". Took me 3 tries, keep falling asleep in between. But its good I suppose, journey seemed much shorter.

A cold rush of kaza (wind) came into contact with my face and I was instantly awaken. It was a breeze collecting our luggages and taking the limosine bus. We also found the inn quite easily.

Sasano-san (the inn keeper) was really nice in showing us the room and giving us brief directions on where to go.

Now. Before I came, I had this vision that all the Japanese Ive learnt came back to me and I spoke Japanese with confidence but as Sasano-san was struggling to speak to us in English. All I could managed was a smile and nod. Stupid Eying, you returned everything you learned.

Hei and I put our things away and explored the area we stayed in.

Food No. 1: Tori on a stick, Tori Skin on a stick, Tori and Leeks on a stick. Price 370yen.

We found the metro and took a ride into central Tokyo to buy our disney tickets. That went pretty well. But for 10,000 yen per person, I better cry more than I did in Orlando when I steped in.

Food No. 1: Ramen with Chashu. Price 2150 yen.

We pulled ourselves out of Daimaru and walked along the streets, stopped by a couple of restaurants but the menus were all in Japanese so I didn't dare to go in. A waiter in one of the (what we thought was shabu shabu) restaurant walked our and uttered a bunch of Japanese. After realising we were not responding, he asked "Chugoku desu ka?". I know whats that! I replied with confidence "Iie, Shingapuru desu". He smiled and I then asked "Ramen desu ka?". Im sure Akai-Sinsei (my japanese teacher) would shake his head in despair at what I failure I turned out to be.

The nice waiter said he had no ramen and pointed down the street. I didnt understand the language but pointing is universal. We trudged down and went into the first store with a ramen picture.

Food No. 3: Freshness Burger - Classic Burger. Price 420yen

Lydia and Echiing told us about it and we stumbled upon it on the way to the nearby supermarket. We had just ate a huge bowl of ramen but thats not gonna stop us. At least not my husband. The onions were grilled nicely but after a heavy dinner, all I could stomach was a small bite.

"Super Nihon" rating for the day: 5/10 --> tired from the early morning flight.

No comments: