Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day 4: Asakusa, Harajuku + Felicia Chin, Roppongi

Started out holy day with a prayer at Sensoji Temple. For 100 yen, I shooked the cylinder with wishing sticks and got a "Final Small Fortune" fortune slip. It was a neither good nor bad fortune with everything being "halved".

Food No. 15: Bean Cake

Reminded me of Mum's attempt at Delimanjoo. It was some cakey thingy with some beany paste in it. Made to order so it was very hot and nice for the morning. But as I walked down the street, I realised there are hand made ones too, selling even cheaper. But oh well...it was nice.

Hei and I walked around the temple a bit, made a couple more wishes and he spotted 2 men in Ninja costumes!!! My inner ninja came out....I took a picture with them and they even let me hold the samurai!!!

Food No. 16: Ice Cream Waffle Sandwich

Like the ones in Singapore but only more expensive. Cant say much cos I didnt taste.

Food No. 17: Yasai Dan-Men + Gyoza and Chashyuu men with some deep fried bamboo shoot

The first and only time I came to Japan was as a kid mebbe about 10-12 years ago. I dont remember much from that trip with mum and echiing except the snowy weather in Nikko (where echiing nearly lost her foot), dinner in hotel on christmas night and the hot of ramen.

Today, Hei and I went into a Chinese/Japanese place to eat and I order the only veggie noodle in the menu. From my limited Japanese, I understood the noodle type as "Dan Mian or Egg Noodles" - so i assume that it was the Chinese part of the restaurant. However, when it came, it tasted like what I remember ramen to taste like.

It was springy and had a very nice al-dante texture. The ramen I have had so far taste more like yeasty spaghetti. So tell me, have I had mistaken Dan Mian for Ramen???

We went to Harajuku again yesterday to Yoyogi Park. Didnt see as many dress-uppers as I liked (I was hopping to see more Gothic Lollies) but we saw a who bunch of Rockabillys who seemed to do the TWIST more than they are rock "n rolling. All the men had the elvis-do --> even those balding ones. It was fun nonetheless.

Food No. 18: Mcdonalds (Mcspicy + Shaka Shaka Chicken)

We went off to Tokyo Tower. For those unaware, its like the Effiel Tower but apparently lighter in structure and taller. I was a litte hungry so order a little Mackers first. Mcspicy here is spicer than Singapore but less meaty. Shaka Shaka Chicken is like a fried chicken patty with the MSG powder --> alright. Nothin fantastic.

Up to the observation tower we went and caught the shadow of Fuji-san....Thats about the closest we will be to Mt Fuji. It was nice......heh.

Food No. 19: Hard Rock Cafe (Ribs and Pork combo and Fillet Steak)

In case you dont know, Hei and I collect shot glasses and fridge magnet everytime we travel and if there is a HRC, we like to buy the shot glass from there as well. Well, anyway, we had dinner too just to have something different.

My fillet steak was nicely cooked (order medium to be on the safe side) but the teriyaki sauce (so japanese right??) was a litte jialet after a while.

We took a walk to Tokyo Midtown with our filled stomachs to see the christmas light up. It was BEAUTIFUL (wait for pictures that do no justify at all...heh).

"Super Nihon" Rating: 8/10 - Lovely Weather during the day really makes everything swell....=)

No comments: