Monday, August 06, 2007

The King and I



Blacks has a habit of turning on the TV while having his breakfast in the morning before he leaves for work. Usually its the news channel we watch but because he was in a hurry today (alarm didn't go off) that he simply watched the channel that was already on.

And it happened to be the 1956 version of 'The King and I'. Somehow it caught my attention and I continued to watch it after he left. Until of course I fell asleep on the couch.

I really can't explain what intrigued me, not sure if it was the vocals or the cast. At first I thought it was funny to see a cast of cauasians playing the role of the Thais and thought the 1999 'Anna and the King' starring Jodie Foster and Chow Yun Fatt was much better. But then of course, the budget for the later movie was much more and everything else.

Then, I begin to be very awed by the magnitude of the set, the detailing of each of the cast costumes, the vocals of Julie Andrews. Plus, its nice to watch an old musical movie everynow and then cos its just pleasant to hear people tell a story true a song. Not plain old dialogue like what we have today.

So I leave you here with a song. Most of you should have heard the tune before...I've always known the song but not sure where it was from.

No comments: