Monday, August 01, 2005

The President Star Charity 2005

I think Singaporeans are still recovering from the NKF saga. I watched the President Star Charity yesterday and half hour into the show, they have only managed to collect $112,00.00. And at then end of the show, less than half a million received. I really pity Mediacorp cos I thought they pulled out all the stops. Fei Xiang, Deanne Yusoff, ZOE TAY and people from Cirque de Soeil. Luckily, there were kind donations from corporations that brought the amount up to about$3.7 million. I must admit, I didn't contribute anything to that amount. My family and I have not once called in to donate for charity. We don't feel the need to. Not because we are heartless or stingy. My mother is part of the Lions and her club makes it a point to visit the old folks home bringing them food and entertainment occassionally. Recently, I helped her with a blood drive and when I finally plucked up courage to donate myself, I got rejected. My dad when he was still in business have an annual charity drive where people pay X amount and drinks are on the house that night and all proceceds goes to the designated charity.

But I don't agree with dialing a number and $5, $20, $50 gets sucked outta my bank account immediately. When I watched a similar charity drive in Perth when I was studying, I was shocked at how different it was compared to Singapore. People can called in and pledge whatever they feel they can afford. So there are children who call in and donates $0.50 which they dug from their piggy bank. And the best thing is, the compares on TV recognise every effort by saying the name and how much they pledge. That should be the right way isn;'t it?

Doesn't every little contribution makes a difference?

No comments: